5 Oct 2011

Life drawing notes

We expanded upon our techniques learned last week, namely monocular measurement and introducing the concept of axis in the figure. We did three warm up drawings this time, on one sheet - I found these came together quite well, but this was no doubt aided by the fact I had a proper pencil to use this time, along with a purple pencil for marking out the geometry.

We went on to do one major drawing for the rest of the session, with one pose. I struggled in parts, finding myself overworking elements of the drawing which made it more difficult. To counter this, I decided to use extra space on the paper to focus on a smaller scale on some of the other parts of the figure, namely the head/top half of the torso, the left leg and foot, and left hand, as these were all parts that were either messy in my opinion, or had been otherwise neglected.

At this point it is becoming clear that my work is, at this stage but probably in a more fundamental way also, quite gestural and expressionistic, as opposed to being strictly precise. In the self-portrait sketches I have done in the last few days I have found my drawings 'coming together' more comfortably in this manner, as quick gestural drawings, and I am looking forward to transferring this to paint and other mediums in the future.