20 Oct 2011

Fibre Arts

In our second fibre arts session, we began with an exhaustive list of artists who work in textiles, both in 3D and more two-dimensional styles, under the umbrella term of fibre arts. Of these, the following caught my attention in particular:

Sheila Pepe
Janet Echelman
Susie MacMurray
Shelley Rhodes
Caroline Bartlett
Michael Brennand Wood
Ma Ke


More on these later.

The remainder of the session was almost entirely practical, with the aim to try out and experiment with a variety of different techniques using a sewing machine, an embellisher, dyes, 'stitch and reveal'. I spent a considerable amount of time with the sewing machines, as I have never used them before and I found them intriguing. It took me some time to get to grips with the basics of the machine, and I wanted to practise more so I spent perhaps more time on the machines than was intended. As such, of the pieces I produced, most were made with the use of the sewing machine.


Stitching and folding

Folding with stitch

Stitch and reveal

Stitch gauze over wool thread, onto white material (1/2)

Additional stitches to hold over the thread, and keep it in place, and also to segment the fabric into cubes (2/2)
Wax relief onto fabric, with dyes washed over the fabric (high resolution scan). Wax was rubbed onto the fabric over  various shapes, as well as being rubbed freehand onto the material.