28 Sept 2011

Fine art notes

Today we went over colour theory, and were set a task of producing six pieces, each one tackling a specific area within colour theory. These ranged from using only primary colours, as well as using complimentary colours, warm and cool colours etc. I managed to produce three of the six pieces in the afternoon session, with a mind to trying to complete the remaining six the following day, time permitting. It is likely that there will be some work needed at home to complete all six to a standard I am happy with. My most interesting piece today was a5 size and was mostly made with coloured tissue paper (for warm colours) dipped into PVA glue mixed with (too much) water, to saturate the paper and make it more malleable. This led to some interesting results, however because of the high water content of the paper, it was too wet. Once this dries however this should be quite effective. Greg and I discussed the days work and also some preparatory work that I did in photoshop combining elements taken from photographs taken of the group 3D work at the beginning of the course. There was significant elements that could influence further pieces, and these pieces directly influenced today's work as well as a piece I prepared at home the day before. Greg commented on the textural qualities of the tissue paper based work, and that gave me the idea of photographing in extreme detail some of the intricate parts of the work once it had dried, possibly with a macro lens which would have to be provided by the technicians (this proved to be unavailable). I will bring my own Sony A390 DSLR tomorrow to photograph as well as I can some of these features, for further work in photoshop, to then continue on at home.