15 Dec 2011

15-12-11 – FINE ART


Still at a loose end as to how to approach the brief I decided to experiment away from what I had been doing so far, which is producing drawings using inks, some based in observation, others more just from imagination. I set up an overhead projector adjacent to a wall and placed some clean white paper for the light to land upon, and tried placing a mixture of items on the surface of the overhead projector to compose collages of light and shadow. I took photographs of the different compositions and also of the arrangements of the items on the projector for record but also for possible experimentation later. Finding the initial results promising but ultimately less than remarkable, I decided to add a less controlled variable into the mix, by adding water into a glass dish, to refract the light, and create more diverse results. This immediately made things more remarkable. I decided to expand upon this and add inks to the water to see how they interacted with the water and subsuquently with the light projection. The first I tried was 'crimson', though in effect the colour is more of a luminous pink, which dissolved very fainttly and quickly into the water, which whilst creating an interesting overall colouration, did not yield any interesting shapes or definitions to work upon. After, i added blotches of indian ink (black) which responded very differeny, creating a much more dramatic effect in the water and adding a much more physical definition to the light projection. As before, I photographed the effects, though I found that without the use of a tripod and preparedness in taking the photographs, I had missed the best opportunities for interesting images.

Later on after analysing the initial photographs and using photoshop to alter and experiment with them, I set up a second overhead projector in a similar manner as before, except on the floor in another corner of the room. I obtained a tripod and set up my camera in a steady position, carefully tuned and setup to take continuous photographs as the shuttter button is held down. I prepared the water and dipped a brush with indian ink into it, and then proceeded to take over one hundred sequential photographs of the projection as the ink dispersed, creating a stop motion effect. I created a video sequence of these photographs on my laptop in the lesson, which resulted in a fairly blotchy but visually interesting prototype for further experiments with similar methods and materials.

I had an in-depth discussion with Greg during the lesson about the brief, about my experiments earlier in the lesson, and about where to take my work next. It was suggested, and I agreed, that as well as continuing with the work I had been doing so far, that drawing should continue also, though perhaps not necessarily in a traditional manner. The use of abstraction and alternative techniques in applying paint and inks, such as cling film, opens up interesting possibilities and during part of the lesson I used mixtures of acrylic paints with variable amounts of water to draw onto large sheets of paper, whcih I intend to continue doing and with which to experiment further.









The following images were edited in Photoshop.